Saturday, May 10, 2008

Letter to Mom


"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly anything that stands in its path."
-- Agatha Christie


There was a time when I saw this picture as merely a childhood snapshot. A moment in time. A simple picture of you and me. These days, however, I see so much more. Things the naked eye can't see. Things I see only with my heart.

I see a mother's love.

The time spent.

I see the sacrifices.

The sleepless nights.

I see the times your heart was broken and the times it leaped for joy.

I see the moments you played the cheerleader, urging me on to my next endeavor.

And how you were always there -- arms at the ready -- to embrace me if I fell.

But most of all, I see how -- through it all -- you poured every ounce of your love and energy into me.

Day after day.

Month after month.

Year after year.

It was no small task. You did it faithfully, lovingly, whole-heartedly.

All those times you would tell me, "Someday, Michelle, you'll understand."

You were right.

It took several years and three kids -- but I finally get it.
I can't thank you enough.

No comments: