Thursday, May 8, 2008

Shaking Things Up


Sometimes, feeling "frumpy" has as much to do with what's happening on the inside, as what's happening on the outside. I don't know about you, but there are some days when I feel stuck in a rut -- each day seems like a repeat of the day before.

Change diapers.
Clean the kitchen.
Do laundry.
Clean the kitchen.
Run carpool.
Clean the kitchen.
Cook dinner.
Clean the kitchen.

All of those things need to be done. All of that is good.

But it's not everything.

I take my job as a mom very seriously. But while it's a 24/7 kind of job, with no sick days, it doesn't mean that I can't take an occassional "coffee break" to recharge myself.

One of the best ways I've found to "fight the frump" is to shake things up a bit. Try doing something you've never imagined doing before. Pursue an interest that you've always wanted to try. I'm not saying chuck it all and join the circus. I'm just saying, step outside of your normal routine for a moment.

I've just taken up tae kwon do. It's something I've always wanted to do. I went to my first class this week. I felt like a dork. I punched like a girl. But you know what? I'm going back next week. Because it's new. It's a challenge. It's something that seems so out of my comfort zone (maybe even a little risky) that it gets me excited. I'm not dropping everything to become a black belt. I'm just taking one or two hours a week and setting them aside to do something that stretches me.

So, what's it going to be? A writing class? Salsa dancing lessons? Planning a trip you've always wanted to take? We need to take risks. If we don't take them, we don't grow. When we don't grow, we end up feeling stagnant.

We end up feeling...well... frumpy.

So go ahead. Try something new. And let us all know how it turns out.
For more tips on Fighting the Frump, head on over to Fussy's place.

10 comments:

Sister Honey Bunch/Judi maloney said...

Yea! Good for you! My husband and I just started playing tennis again. I haven't played in years and neither has he. We've NEVER played together. Very fun!

heather said...

I took up running a few weeks ago after the Look Alike was born, and have decided to learn to sew (which is nearly free, seeing as how my mother-in-law is giving me one of her machines and access to her three decades of thread and fabric. Woohoo)!

Darla said...

Oooh yeah I get into a frumpy schedule mode. Thanks for the reminder to shake it up. I'm gunna shake it up today. =)

Valarie Lea said...

That sounds like fun!! I have been working out more. Its early in the morning workouts so this is quite different for me.

Laura said...

Wow, that was a great post on fighting the frump!!! When we do something new we are fighting the intellectual and emotional frump.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... does eating dessert FIRST count?!

Unknown said...

You've almost inspired me to sign up for the Friday meditative classes I've been looking at for a year now. Almost.

I have, like sister honey bunch, convinced The Man to play tennis with me once this week and we'll probably do it again. We are terrible. Mostly I am terrible. I'm glad not many people use those courts. :)

I need parenting advice BADLY on my blog today. If you get a chance, please check it out!

Joy said...

A great reminder to step outside of your comfort zone!

mah-meeee said...

i totally agree! doing something new can certainly unfrump yourself. taking the time to do something not for the family is a great way to improve oursleves.

now that you've inspired me.... what should i do to unfrump myself?

Kristen said...

Being spontaneous is good! Breaking out of the comfort zone is good!

For months now I've been thinking I should invite a group of moms from church over for dinner one night and leave the husbands home with the kids. But I've never gotten around to setting a date.

Well, gosh darn it, I'm going to send some emails right now.