Monday, July 14, 2008

I'm Open for Suggestions...

I have a teensy little problem that I was hoping y'all could help me with. This Friday I'll be taking Jillian (5) and Josh (3) to the doctor for their yearly checkups. Normally, going to the doctor is not an issue. Josh, in particular, has grown into quite a cooperative patient. There was a time in the not-so-distant past when he would spend the entire appointment screaming in one corner of the room while I shouted questions to the doctor standing in the other corner.

Good times.

But, because the last several visits to the doctor have not involved pain of any sort, Josh has mellowed a quite bit. By "mellowed" I mean he's not hyperventilating in waiting room.

You know where I'm going with this, right?

These checkups are going to involve shots -- one for each child. And, what's more, because I choose to vaccinate on a delayed schedule, it will require another visit after this one for my daughter to get her second shot. She's gonna love me for that, I'm sure.

Here's my problem. On the drive to the doctor's office, I'm going to be hit with the inevitable question, "Will we get a shot today?"

Not to sound all dramatic, but what am I supposed to say?!?

I hate to lie. But is there really any point sending them into hysterics 45 minutes prior to the event? And do I give my daughter a heads up now so that she knows she'll be getting another shot in a few weeks? Do I bribe? Do I promise ice cream after? What do I do?

So tell me, oh wise Interpeeps, how do you handle it? Do you feign ignorance? Or do you just lay it all on the line up front?

Please help. I'm all ears.

11 comments:

pinkmommy said...

In our house, it is daddy's job to deal with the vaccinations. I just can't do it.

Good luck! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Unknown said...

Oh, I can't help you too much here because mine is only 2, so obviously she never asked in advance about getting shots. I'm with you, though...I really hate the thought of lying to them. Because then once you get there and they get the shot, then they will know that you weren't exactly truthful. The bribe sounds good to me...ice cream or something that will make them happy and forget about it! :)

Jackie said...

Sorry...that was me...I was signed in as my hubby. :)

Kristen said...

I usually "blame" it on the doctor. When I get the shot question I reply, "We'll see what the doctor says." (I can say this honestly, because I never know for sure if they'll get shots or not.) Then I change the subject. If they insist on talking about it more, I'll try to come up with something to calm fears.

mah-meeee said...

oh i like to lay it out front, but not too far in advance. that way both you & the child will have advance notice as to what to expect there.

(you can expect coorporation or screaming... the child will know it's coming and not be surprised. because i find that the next time will get harder if they become suspicious of the trip to the doctor.)

do you guys have a doctor toy kit? that really got my daughter out of the fear of doctors and shots. she likes to pretend administer the shots to mommy. (maybe it's hidden retaliation?)

anyway, good luck!

Anonymous said...

I learned my lesson the hard way. I warned my son when he was 5 and it literally took me, 2 nurses, and the doctor to hold him down for the shot. Never again. I feign ignorance and pray it's quick.

Vaya con dios!

Unknown said...

I always tell them the truth and I explain why they need the shot. Then I promise them a treat afterward. Usually McDonald's.

Tracey said...

I wouldn't lie....but I'd probably say..."Possible, we'll have to ask the doctor." Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'd be honest about it, but maybe a bit before the car ride. Maybe that way they'll have time to prepare themselves.

And DEFINITELY the bribe. The sweeter and unhealthier the bettter. You know, to counteract the effects of the life-saving vaccinations. :)

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Older mother of 3 here, like in 25,24 & 20 :) Pray that morning about the visit privately asking God to guide and lead you on what to say(wisdom) and to calm your kids & you....God loves us to be in situations that require dependence on Him. He will show you. Of coarse lying is not an option and there is always a better way... even if it is the truth and it hurts.

Threeundertwo said...

I would say "I don't know" because honestly, I usually don't know when my kids shots are.

I let my kids squeeze my fingers during a shot. It seems to distract them and give them a sense of power. The pediatrician always gives them a (sugar-free) lollipop afterwards, and the kids love those.

Good Luck!