Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Neither here nor there...

Seems like I have a lot of little things to report. Nothing worthy of a full post. So, here's a random list of what's up these days...

1. I, like Linda, was a little surprised Aaron McCargo Jr. won the Next Food Network Star. I was kind of rooting for Adam. I liked his "Hungry in Philadelphia" idea. It was different from your average cooking show. Lisa seemed like a nice girl and all, but watching her made me a little nervous. She was a tad intense.

2. I know where I'm sending my son to preschool. I had waited too long to send in my paperwork for the program I was originally going to put him in and it filled up. My remaining options were all less than favorable. I prayed and felt confident God would find the perfect program for Josh this fall (even if that meant homeschooling him). Well, a brand new option was thrown on the table last week. Better teacher to student ratio. Closer to the house. Can do a three-day versus a five-day option. I'm sending the check in tomorrow. Amen.

3. Due to illness, I was forced to reschedule THE doctor's appointment for Jilly and Josh. You remember the one, right? The one that will involve a shot or two? That will happen on Friday. So, stay tuned. I'm sure there will be a good post resulting from that visit.

4. On the karate front, I earned my yellow belt last weekend. But I'm still the only adult in the adult class. Whatever. I actually had to "spar" in class last night -- I got to have a 19-year-old boy and a 15-year-old boy punch and kick at me for two minutes each. It was nothin' I couldn't handle. I'm the mother of two preschoolers and a toddler for crying out loud. Ever have to drag a screaming child from Walmart with two others in tow? That is a much harder battle, I assure you.

5. I've been trying to train Josh to make his bed each morning. I used the House Fairy Program with Jilly and it worked beautifully. But, she's a first born. We tried the program with Josh, and I had to take him off the House Fairy's list. He really could care less about an old woman who comes in his room and leaves a prize for tidiness.

But, Josh discovered a Spiderman kickboard I had hidden in the back closet. I told him if he made his bed three days in a row, he could have the kickboard. You know, positive reinforcement. Well, he made it two days. Tomorrow will be day number three. Tonight, when I walked in to kiss him goodnight, he was laying on top of his bedspread with a blanket over the top of him.

Me: Josh, don't you want to get under the covers?
Josh: Do I earn my Spiderman kickboard tomorrow?
Me: If you make your bed one more time.
Josh: I want to sleep like this so I don't have to make my bed.

That child is always looking for the loophole. Honestly, I begin trembling when I imagine his teen years.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Ha! I love Josh! He is an ingenious child for sure. It's funny to see the different personalities in your kids come out...what works for one doesn't always work for another.

mah-meeee said...

oh your josh is way too smart!

karate, yellow belt, really? wow! kudos to you!

how's jilly's eczema?

Truth said...

LOL, sounds like you have a genius in the making with not making the bed. If directed properly, this boy is capable of doing amazing things with that mind of his and problem solving.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

That is so funny about your son sleeping on top of his bed!

About 3-4 nights a week my son wants to sleep in his sleeping bag on the floor beside our dog. I thought it was so sweet for awhile, but now, I think he does it for the same reason your son does...so he won't have to make his bed the next day. LOL!

Kristen said...

You go, Yellow Belt Girl!

My Aaron has done the same thing -- wants to sleep on top his covers to save me the chore of making his bed in the morning. He also thinks he should stay in his pjs all day so he doesn't have to change into them again at night.

They don't grow out of it. Husbands still think they are giving us a huge break when we have them "just grill something for dinnner". They don't realize we still have to prepare side dishes, prep the stuff for the grill, clean up after, etc etc.

Have fun deciphering male logic.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Josh sounds very funny and quite clever.

The whole karate thing is quite impressive to me. Though, I think you and I both deserve a black belt just for the daily dealings with the kiddos.

Hope the doc appointment went well.

Unknown said...

This was a fun post!

I love that the school option seemed like it wouldn't work out, and in the end was better!

Congrats on the new karate belt. My husband does karate and he is always saying I should join but sparring is what keeps me back...

Love the sleeping on the bed idea. Your son may not have "cleaning initiative", but you cannot say he isn't smart!!! He's definitely creative! ;)