Wednesday, July 16, 2008

There's a vegetable in it, so it must be healthy...


I found this recipe in the latest issue of Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine. It's for "Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Bread." My son -- by far the family's pickiest eater -- ate it without complaint. My daughter didn't eat it, but that's because she saw me add the zucchini. If she hadn't witnessed it I'm sure she would have been none-the-wiser. I'll admit, it's pretty darn tasty. In fact, given that it contains a vegetable, I refuse to consider it a dessert and have been eating it for breakfast. So there.


Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Makes 2 loaves

1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup canola oil
3 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 cups shredded, peeled zucchini
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flours, cocoa, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in zucchini. Transfer to two 8"x 4"x 2" loaf pans coated with cooking spray.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
1 slice:
137 calories
4g fat (trace sat fat)
26 mg cholesterol
165 mg sodium
23 g carbohydrate
1g fiber (more if used whole wheat pastry flour)
3g protein
For more great tips and ideas (even another tasty recipe or two) head on over and see Shannon.

7 comments:

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Yum, that sounds great. I'll have to try it soon. It cracks me up that your daughter wouldn't try it because she saw you add the vegetable. Too funny.

I really like that magazine. The recipes usually work great for me.

Unknown said...

I'll have to try this. It may be the only way I can get my kids to eat zucchini.

Elizabeth said...

I tried some chocolate zucchini cookies recently that were awesome and sound similar. I'd love to try. Thanks for sharing!

Kristen said...

This is the second time this week I've heard of this! It sounds so good, I'm going to have to try it!

Jackie said...

YUM-0! Sounds fabulous. I received that magazine for awhile and got several great makeover recipes out of it...but I missed this one. Glad you posted it.

Unknown said...

I love Zucchini bread...why had I never thought of putting chocolate chips in them?

Looking forward to making this!

Ang said...

My son is the ultimate picky eater, but absolutely loved zucchini bread this week!! I'll have to try adding chocolate!!

Also, total have to agree that it's totally breakfast worthy!