Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Random Bits of Randomness

A few items of note...

1. The crafting continues. I bought more fabric today because I simply cannot stop at one small bathroom window. No m'am. I've decided to do my entire kitchen and great room -- because the crafting bug will not leave me alone.

I've been running around here like HGTV's next Design Star. I even found myself in Michaels today buying the items needed to make a fall centerpiece. Oh, my creativity clearly knows no bounds these days. With any luck, all this "design exuberance" will pass in about a week or so. But, not before I do a "big reveal" for y'all sometime next week. Think of it as Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Only, not nearly as exciting.

2. As I was driving back from dropping Jilly off at school the other morning, I noticed an animal crossing the street in front of our house. At first I thought it was a fox. But, I quickly realized this animal was too big to be a fox. Then I thought it might be a dog, but I was pretty sure I didn't see a collar and the tail was much too bushy. The animal sought cover in the woods across from our house, and I stalked him with the minivan until he ran right out in front of me. I could have sworn it was a coyote. Later that day, a neighbor confirmed my suspicions.

This kind of disturbs me. For a while, I walked around expecting the coyote to jump out of a shrub at any moment to attack me or the kids. I've calmed down a little, but not enough to let the kids play in the front yard unsupervised.

3. In other wildlife news, I think I have a new favorite show. Anyone seen Man vs. Wild? My husband was watching it when I came in from karate the other night. The show features Bear Grylls, a most appropriately named survivalist, who demonstates how to survive in some of the world's toughest terrain. It's kind of like Fear Factor on steroids. My husband and I watched the entire hour with our noses wrinkled and our mouths hung open in shock. If you're brave enough, here's an example of what I'm talking about (and, a word of warning, I wouldn't click on it if you have a weak stomach):



It's oddly fascinating in a "I can't ever imagine doing that" kind of way. We've ti-voed the next several episodes.

4. I was going to share a delicious new soup recipe with y'all. But, for those of you who chose to watch the clip I embedded above, I can see that doing so would be wildly inappropriate at this point. The recipe will be another post for another day.

And on that note, I'm off to bed. My husband and I have been doing P90X -- which has involved a lot of early morning workouts. It's a lot easier to get up at 5:15 a.m. when I get to bed before 11 p.m.

Go figure.

3 comments:

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I'm just sitting down to (finally) catch up on your blog!

I would love your recipe...whenever you're ready to post it. And wow, a coyote? I see them close to my neighborhood but I've never seen one close enough to scare me. If it was wandering the streets, I'd probably react as you did!

Jackie said...

So excited about the recipe you are teasing us with. Tonight I just commented to my hubby that a big steaming bowl of soup would be perfect on this chilly fall evening.

When we had cable, we loved watching Man vs. Wild. There's some crazy stuff on that show!

Unknown said...

I hate Bear. And I don't use the word hate lightly. The Man LOVES Man vs. Wild and every time it comes on his voice grates on me like nails on a chalkboard.

He drank Elephant Poo Juice... that was the END for me. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Oh wait, I'm sorry... Bear probably ATE the camel's back. Raw and with his bare hands. After the camel had been killed by some other carnivorous animal and had been rotting in the desert sun for over 24 hours.